Tuesday, March 27, 2007

S3Ep13 - The Man from Tallahassee (Locke's sixth flashback)

Hello my dear friends -

In the words of executive producer Damon Lindelof: "The final five seconds of this episode are my favorite five seconds of the season."

The Locke-box showeth no mercy.Yes, I must admit that even for those of us who suspected it might be Papa Locke (as he is often referred to on the boards) inside the room at the end of the show, it was still amazing when it was shown. I got several emails after the episode aired - so thank you to those who checked to ensure that I was OK. While I probably was the only one who absolutely bawled my eyes out during Locke's flashback, I was definitely not alone in immensely enjoying "The Man from Tallahassee." Most people felt that this was the best episode in a long time - and of course, many people were happy to get at least a few answers (even though about 10 bazillion more questions were raised).

Let's tackle the easier things first, shall we?


BABY LOVE

Wow, she really DOES look like me!  Great job, casting agents!Apparently I was overly emotional during this entire episode, because I also teared up during Rousseau's first glimpses of her grown daughter, Alex. Since they purposely showed Ben staring at childhood pictures of Alex in his apartment earlier in the episode, many people couldn't help but wonder if he really is her father, and perhaps Rousseau was lying about her background. Could Rousseau and Benry have been involved during her early days on the island, but then she did something to get herself banished? I personally still think that they took Alex away from her and Benry simply raised her as his own, but I'm sure we're going to get more background on that sub-plot some time soon. Especially since Sayid has now planted the seed in Alex's head (which I thought was awesome... FINALLY, people are SAYING THINGS!):

My prediction: Therapy ahead for this girlSayid: You're Alex aren't you?
Ryan: Hey, can it.
Alex: How do you know my name?
Sayid: Because you look like your mother.
Alex: My mother is dead.
Sayid: I'm sure that's what they told you.
[Ryan gets up and smashes the butt of his rifle into Sayid's side]

I already have very high expectations for the mother-daughter reunion scene... let's hope it's worth the wait!



SING ME A SONG, YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN...

La dee dah, di-di daaaaaahThe Mad Doctor has turned into a sensitive musician - who would've thunk it? I loved how Kate was just SO entranced by his musical skillzzz that she let her gun drop and had no choice but to stand there, frozen by the beautiful melody. PLEASE!

She quickly snapped out of her daze, however, when she realized that Jack seemed to be won over by The Others. What can I say?  I really want some pizza.Not only did he not step in when she was captured and thrown to the ground at gunpoint, but he also seemed fairly perturbed that she attempted to rescue him at all... because he was about to leave the island with none other than Juliet (who is quickly becoming Kate's nemesis). On top of that, he tried to turn it all back around to be Kate's fault, since she apparently "told Jack" to trust The Others' when she was pleading with him to do Benry's surgery in order to save Sawyer. Kate Well I want some chocolate ice cream, let me come with you, dammit!knows that Pickett was actually going to execute Sawyer as soon as the surgery got underway, but Jack never knew that... which is why Kate said, "What did they tell you?" after Jack said he struck a deal with Benry.

Most likely out of guilt, Jack was all, "I will come back for you!" at the end of their touchy-feely conversation that Juliet interrupted (she has quite a knack for doing that). I think You're going to hook up with Juliet?  I'm going to barf!Kate should've slapped Jack across the face (if she weren't handcuffed). In my opinion, she has every right to be upset - it certainly appears that Jack was looking to save his own skin and was more than willing to forget about everyone else. I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the exact same thing if I was him... I'm just saying that I understand why KATE would be upset.

Now that the sub is apparently destroyed (covered below), we'll never know if Jack and Juliet were even going to be able to leave the island in the first place, and therefore we will never know if Jack would've returned with a rescue party. Not like anyone should have been expecting that any character would actually get off the island before the series' finale, though. You KNOW that Michael and Walt have got to be sailing in circles! If you listen REALLY closely in most episodes, you can still hear Michael yelling "Waaaalllllllt!" in the background. He just got so used to doing it, he continued even after they were reunited.


SSSHHH, MY EVIL BEARD IS OUT THERE LISTENING!

Can we play one more round of girly football before you go?Back to Jack and Kate's reunion scene... did anyone else notice how Zeke seemed to silently warn Jack that there were audio and video monitors in the game room when he left him alone with Kate? Well, I did, and you can see for yourself in the picture to the right. I think Zeke really likes Jack for some reason - or perhaps Zeke is one of those people that may actually want to leave the island at some point, and therefore was rooting for Juliet and Jack to be able to make it off.


We are now done covering all of the minor stories of the night... let's move on to Locke, Papa Locke, Benry and the Magic Box!


THE "REAL" SAWYER?

I'm a bad, bad man.I mentioned this a long, long time ago, but the buzz on this theory is back in full-force after this episode: Could Papa Locke (aka: Cooper) be the "original Sawyer" who Lostaway Sawyer/James Ford had been searching for? The man "our" Sawyer wants to kill, who was the one who swindled his mother and caused his dad to commit suicide? The one Lostaway Sawyer faux-named himself after, who he wrote the letter to when he was a young boy?

My vote is: Yes, it's the same guy.

With this episode, it has been absolutely confirmed that Papa Locke is a life-long con man. In Season One, we may have just thought that he really needed a kidney, and then went to desperate lengths to locate his biological son in order to get said organ. Crappy? Yes. Evidence of a serial con artist? No.

Then, in Season Two, we saw how Locke's dad got Locke involved with retrieving $700,000 as part of a "retirement con" that apparently involved the mob. His dad offered him part of the huge pay-out, but Locke refused to take it (and also lost his true love in the process). Since we really didn't have a lot of background on what was going on in that situation, it wasn't totally clear that his dad was a professional con-man... and he also said that he was "gone" after that because he had essentially faked his own death.

But now, it is very, very clear that his father had been conning both Locke and everyone else he ever got involved with all along - with the latest installment being to "marry the rich widower." Papa Locke has an extremely dark side, as he probably DID kill that kid in order to get away with his plan. He obviously was trying to kill Locke by pushing him out of the window. Therefore, most people believe that Papa Locke is the "real Sawyer" that Lostaway Sawyer was trying to hunt down and kill before crashing on the island.

Two other random bits of "supporting evidence" include:

1) The two names that we know of for Papa Locke: Anthony Cooper and Adam Seward are an anagram for: "Sawyer, the con man, a poor dad."
2) We know that Lostaway Sawyer had been to Tallahassee himself (he admitted to catching an STD there), and Papa Locke is referred to as "The Man From Tallahassee."

I believe there is a petition going around to get the writers to have a scene where Papa Locke, Locke and Sawyer are in some sort of cage match duel. It certainly would be interesting to see who would win! But once again, at this point, Sawyer wouldn't be able to put two and two together, in addition to the fact that he doesn't even know where Locke or Papa Locke are.


WHISKEY REBELLION

Are your "Easter egg"-spotting skills still sharp? Did you notice Papa Locke pouring none other than MacCutcheon's whiskey (the fave of Mr. Widmore) right before pushing his son out of the window? Nothing like a little touch of whiskey to calm the nerves...

What about this one... do you think the car behind Papa Locke early on in the episode was the same Mystery Car of Death we've seen several times before?


FROM SUCH GREAT HEIGHTS

Q: How did Locke end up in a wheelchair?
A: He was pushed out of a eighth-floor window by his father.

Check THAT question off of the list! (as a side note, I have a large, crappy plastic tablecloth that I've been using on the "snack table" since I started having Lost parties at the end of Season One that has a ton of questions written on it. As well as characters' names. Every time someone dies, they get X'd out, and if a question gets answered, it gets X'd out. You would be surprised at how many questions have been answered overall - it's easy to forget when so many more get raised in each episode...)

After "Lockdown," the episode referred to above where Locke helped his father retrieve the money from the retirement con, I became positive that Locke would end up getting the beat-down from the mob at some future point, and that's what would land him in the wheelchair. So I kept waiting for the mob to show up in this episode... I even initially thought the police investigating the kid's death were going to drag Locke off and deliver him to the mob.

But when I realized two things: 1) That it was nearing the end of the hour, and 2) that Locke just walked into his father's apartment, which was nearly ALL windows... I figured out Locke's fate.

This is gonna hurt...There was surprisingly little debate on the boards about whether or not a person could've truly survived a fall like that... which I thought would've lead to the inevitable discussion of whether "Locke has always had supernatural powers." I thought for sure someone would bring this up - because it's the first thing I thought. But then I remembered a recent tragedy near my neighborhood, where a building was set on fire and someone jumped out of a window on the fifth floor and lived (although he did shatter most of his bones). So I assume that there is a slim chance that in "real life," a real person could survive a fall such as Locke's.

Another important part of Locke's background was revealed in the last flashback scene, when he was first put into the wheelchair. If you were paying attention, you should've noticed that it was Locke's physical therapist, William, who first uttered what has now become one of Locke's signature phrases...

William: John, John, John. We have got ourselves quite a day ahead of us my friend. It's a fine time to get you up out of that bed.
Locke: No. I don't want to.
William: John...I don't remember asking.
[William lowers the rail on the bed, pulls the covers off Locke, then leaves the room and comes back with a wheelchair]
William: Now. Most people struggle with this at first, but don't worry...you'll get used to it.
Locke: Uh...no...no...please...I...I can't do this.
William: John, you fell 8 stories and survived, okay. I don't want to hear about what you can't do. Now let's go. It's gonna be alright.
Locke: No I don't...no I don't think...
William: ...It's gonna be fine, John...
[William picks Locke up in his arms]
Locke: ...I don't think I...think I can...
Don't cry, Locke! e will make it all better![As William carries Locke to the chair, Locke looks at it with a horrified expression. William sets Locke in the chair and puts his feet on the pedals]
William: You're fine. There ya go. There ya go, buddy. Wasn't that bad, was it? I'll be right back, buddy.
[William leaves and Locke sits in the chair and breaks down crying.]
[e is sobbing, as well]

Did you catch it?

Don't tell me what I can't do!

Good God, was I bawling my head off during that scene. My husband had the audacity to ask me why I was crying?!?!!?

Hellooooooooo???

Have you not noticed that your wife has a teeny obsession with one John Locke?!?!?


SNARKY BENRY IS BACK!

Trust in me... just in me...Benry definitely was stealing the show with all of his snotty replies in this episode. And it was truly amazing to see him not only weasel his way out of getting killed once again, but to also watch him achieve all of the results he had wanted, without having to lift a finger. He is the master manipulator, as Alex pointed out:

Alex: You know he's manipulating you, right?
Locke: How's that?
Alex: That's what my father does. He manipulates people. He makes you think it's your idea, but it's his.
Locke: I'll have to keep that in mind.

The scenes in Benry's apartment caused an all-out panic attack on the boards - people were desperate to analyze everything on the walls, everything in the fridge, you name it. As one poster put it, "I bet the LOST production team had a blast preparing the set for "Ben's room" 'cause they knew we would just go ballistic looking for clues!!"

Sledgeweb assembled an awesome montage of apartment decor here.


Is that couch from IKEA, by chance?It's hard telling what, if anything, from Benry's digs may be important, but here are a few things I will call out:

1) The "map" on the wall is a very common figure of the night sky with mythical figures imposed over all of the constellations (Hercules, the Hydra. Orion, etc.). You may recall that Karl mentioned that he and Alex liked to name the stars and look at constellations. Perhaps this is something Benry did with her growing up.
2) The masks had people wondering if there perhaps was some sort of tribe on the island when The Others first arrived. Or if those are the "four-toed" people of statue fame.

3) The painting of the woman in Benry's office was BY FAR the biggest topic of the night - in my opinion, it was even more intense than the "magical box" discussion.

Who is that woman? Is it Juliet? Juliet's sister? Karen DeGroot? Some random? Does Alex think that picture is her "real mother?" Is that flower pot hanging in mid-air? And most importantly, why in the hell is that woman holding a rodent?

See the close-up for yourself!


Here are a few posts from the boards that are about this specific topic:

- "Why the hamster? Don't you guys remember what Juliet did? Impregnate a male mouse? I wonder if it has something to do with it..."
- "Karen DeGroot was a founder of DHARMA, so why would Ben have a pic of her in his apartment if The Others are not part of DHARMA? Unless he is somehow her son? Or he could've just taken over an already-existing apartment from DHARMA and not changed the stuff in it?"
- "The woman in the painting may or may not be real, but I'm sure that Alex was told that that was her late mother."

4) Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time was shown AGAIN (the first time was when the guard of the brainwashing room was shown reading it).

The discussion about space and time prompted a fellow viewer to post:
"It's the 2nd time Ben mentions being born on the island/spent his whole life on the island...this is truly his HOME. Could he be the result of a Dharma experiment? Remember that Juliet was enticed to the island by x-rays of what looks to be a 70-year-old womb and is then told that the subject's only 26. Which means that the It is I of the thick eyelashes and bushy eyebrows once again!body is dramatically older than the person's chronological age. Then remember that Jack said Ben's x-rays were of a man in his 40s. But I wonder how old Ben really is? I speculate he's actually much younger than he appears. And remember that Mittelos was an anagram for Lost Time....could this be the meaning?"

Speaking of Mittelos... the guy who recruited Juliet IS the same guy shown leading Benry and Locke to the room at the end of the episode - his name is Richard Alpert.


WHAT LIVES ON THE ISLAND, *STAYS* ON THE ISLAND. MAYBE.

Don't tell me who I can't shoot!The submarine fiasco is now actually my favorite part of the episode, believe it or not. The reason why is because when the show aired, I didn't think twice about Locke blowing up the sub. His flashbacks showed that he had every reason to want to remain on the island - it was obvious that he was much better off, both mentally and physically, AFTER the plane crash. And he didn't want anyone ELSE leaving the island and possibly alerting the outside world to its existence. Locke blowing up the sub also served to heighten the already-existing tension between Locke and Jack, and it proved that Benry really is incredible at getting his way - now no one could leave the island - but it wasn't his fault, and he didn't have to go back on his word. And that's all I thought there was to it.

Now you've REALLY crossed the line, Locke!  I wanted pizza REAL bad!My husband and I did have a quick conversation about why Locke appeared to be soaking wet after returning from the submarine when he wasn't wet getting INTO it, but I just brushed it off as inconsequential.

But, come on. I should've known better. Almost NOTHING on this show is inconsequential! The vast, vast majority of people on the boards, who are way smarter than I am, thought that that difference in Locke's appearance was key - and that it meant that Locke DID NOT actually blow up the submarine.

Consider this: as Locke leaves Alex and walks down the dock to the submarine, it is clearly shown above water. And he has his pack with the Jesus Stick peeking out of the top. We see Locke in the submarine briefly, and he is still dry. When we see him return, the dock is not clearly shown, and a submarine cannot clearly be seen in the moments before Jack and The Others arrive. Locke no longer has his pack nor the Jesus Stick, and he is soaking wet.

Now, remember this exchange with Benry just moments earlier...

Ben:Thank you. So, tell me John. How do you expect to pilot our submarine? I mean, it's a complicated piece of machinery. You don't just press "Submerge".

[Locke brings the wheelchair over to the bed]
Locke:I'll figure something out. For all you know I was a Commander in the Navy. Put your arm around my neck. I'll lift under your knees.



Many people noted that Benry had an odd reaction to Locke's comments... and took that to mean that maybe The Others don't really know ABSOLUTELY everything about the Lostaways.

Now ponder the fact that Locke had a "Special Operations Forces" poster in his apartment.

While most people agree that Locke was probably NOT in any sort of military unit, everyone does agree that he was clearly obsessed with military strategy. Remember him playing Risk in the break room at the box company? His uncanny tracking abilities, his skill with knives? It is quite possible that he learned a lot simply through reading and studying materials. It's called the Internet, people - you'd be surprised what's out there for public consumption!

So the theory is that Locke DID know enough to be able to move the submarine to another nearby location. He then left the sub (and left his pack in the sub), and swam back to the dock. He rigged the very end of the dock with the C-4, and emerged soaking wet. He probably didn't care whether or not someone was there to actually witness the explosion - that was probably just a bonus in his mind. But his intention was to make Benry THINK that he had destroyed the sub.

Here are two posts regarding this theory:

- Alex told Locke that Ben wanted the sub blown up, or at least she told him that Ben was manipulating him to do his bidding, that Ben was good at it. Locke is no dummy, he knew and he was not going to do Ben's bidding for him, so the sub explosion is a hoax.
- OK people, here is the answer to the 'Did Locke blow up the sub?' question. I have seen people talking about it on many message boards. Go to abc.com, and load the episode. Move the cursor on the bottom to exactly 34:04 and pause it. There is a shot down the dock. You can clearly see there is no submarine in the background. It simply is not there before the explosion. Also, the explosion itself is at the end of the dock, not to the left of it. There really is no debating this one."

Hmmm, I would argue that with this show, there is ALWAYS going to be a debate about every little thing.

Don't tell me what I can't blow up!Now let's assume that all of us conspiracy theorists are insane, and that the simplest answer is the correct one - Locke DID blow up the sub. Then the question becomes, could Jack and Juliet really have left anyway? Remember that Benry talked about how the existence of the submarine served to uphold "the illusion" that people could leave if they wanted to. Was there really no way to leave the island in the first place?


To see a series of screenshots from before and after Locke set the explosion, click here.



LOCKE THE OBJECTIVIST?

This part of the weekly EW write-up got me thinking:

"The focus of this evening's eagerly anticipated outing is John Locke — man of (misplaced) faith, wannabe Island hero, obsessed Objectivist oddball. At long last, we will learn what happened in Locke's past that put him in a wheelchair."

Remember how Sawyer was reading an Ayn Rand novel in the prior episode, and how I mentioned that her books all applaud anyone who acts out of his or her own selfish interest? Perhaps the appearance of The Fountainhead really was meant to be a clue about Locke's motivations. Whether he actually blew up the submarine or not - he is doing what HE thinks is best, consequences be damned.


IT'S A DAD IN A BOX!

Ben: ...What if I told you that somewhere on this island there's a very large box...and whatever you imagined...whatever you wanted to be in it...when you opened that box, there it would be.

... later...

Ben: Do you remember earlier, John, when you called me a cheater...when you said I didn't deserve to live on this island? Well get this, there I was shaking hands with Jack and thinking I'd give almost anything to come up with a way to stop him from leaving...because to let him go would be a sign of weakness, of failure, of defeat. People would see that. They would know it. And that, John, would be the end of me. But to kill him...that would be cheating...because my people also heard me make a promise and to break my word...that would be the end of me too. And then you came striding out of the jungle, John, to make my dream come true.
Locke: You're not gonna start talking about the magic box again are you?
Ben: No John. I'm gonna show you what came out of it.
[Locke is surprised and Richard helps Locke to his feet. Richard then pushes Ben's wheelchair as they walk down the hall]
Ben: When I asked you earlier if it hurt when you suffered your injury, I think you misunderstood me. Seems fairly obvious that when a person's back smashes into a hard surface after being thrown from a building, that that's gonna sting a little. But I really wasn't asking about the physical pain.
Locke: What you wanna know if it hurt my feelings?
Ben: No John. I wanted to know what it felt like when your own father tried to kill you. He's the reason you destroyed the submarine, isn't he? You're afraid. You're afraid of him and this is the one place he can never find you. This is the one place he can never get to.
Locke: What do you want from me?
Ben: I don't know how it happened, but you seem to have some communion with this island, John, and that makes you very very important. You have no idea what you're talking about of course, but in time you'll have a better understanding of things. So what do I want? I want to help you, John.
Locke: Why?
Ben: Because I'm in a wheelchair and you're not. Are you ready to see?
[Richard takes the keys and opens the door. A hissing sound is heard when it opens and Locke looks inside to see his father, looking terrified, beaten, bound, gagged, and sitting in a chair]
Locke: Dad???

OK, now I'm stumped.  I was hoping for Boone.

While many people, myself included, guessed that "the man from Tallahassee" HAD to be Locke's father and therefore weren't totally shocked at the end, it still was pretty freaky.

There are three major theories as to how Papa Locke ended up in the room, and of course each have associated questions:

1) He was physically brought there by The Others

The gist of this theory is that Locke's dad was the last person The Others took to the island before the failsafe key was turned. Or in other words, The Others had their peeps back in the real world capture Locke's dad, and he was then brought to the island against his will. He definitely seemed scared to death, and it also looked like he had perhaps been roughed up a little bit (note the bloody bruise on his head). Since The Others know everything about each Lostaway, they knew about Locke's unfortunate past and the part his father played in it, so they would know who to seek out. And they certainly seem to be good at finding people. If Papa Locke really IS the Real Sawyer, then getting him on the island would almost be like a two-for-one special - he is the nemesis of TWO of the Lostaways!

Regarding this theory, the main question is - exactly how long has he been on the island... a few weeks, or perhaps the entire time the Lostaways have been there? From the scared look on his face, it seemed like he had arrived recently.

One post brings up a point on the timing of his arrival:
"OK, Chicken & Egg time: Was Papa Locke on the island before John... or did they scoop him up once they knew his story? Because one is way more interesting than the other."

2) He was "conjured up" to the island via "the box"

Benry spoke of the box in which whatever you wished for would appear. So many people just assumed that the entire point of that speech was to prove that it could work - and therefore that's obviously how Papa Locke got to the island. If you think about it, why else would Benry have even talked about the box if he wasn't intending on having to prove to Locke that it was real? I have a reason: Benry is lying to Locke about the box, but in order to get Locke to trust him, he had to fake its existence by showing Locke his father inside of it (who was either actually brought there by physical means, or was not even there at all (see below)).

But assuming that Papa Locke was actually somehow "willed" to the island... what is unclear is if it was Benry (knowingly) or Locke (unknowingly) who wished for him to be there? Or maybe even Sawyer (unknowingly)? Or did he perhaps just appear without anyone specifically "wishing" for his presence? In that case, did he arrive on the island a while ago, and The Others were trying to figure out why... or did he appear after The Others already realized his significance?

And if it was Benry who willed Papa Locke to the island, did he do it in order to exploit Locke's weakness, since he may sense that Locke has grown too powerful because he obviously has some sort of connection with the island? Or did he do it to actually help Locke overcome his biggest fear? Benry does have something to gain by understanding how the island has mysteriously cured Locke.

I personally was extremely glad that they finally addressed the fact that Locke had been cured by the island, but yet Benry had fallen ill on the island - that was something that the fans on the message boards had previously feared was a "writers' screw-up."

3) He isn't real, it is Smokey.

Some people are positive that Papa Locke isn't even there - it's just Smokey up to his old tricks. These same people are quite positive that when Eko saw Yemi, it was really Smokey (as Smokey appeared right afterward and killed Eko). Remember that both Eko and Locke had encounters with Smokey - and we essentially saw Eko being "mind-scanned" by the black cloud. Locke claimed to have seen a white light during his experience, but Smokey still could've been doing a memory download.


So those are the three major theories as to what is going on with Papa Locke's appearance on the island. Here is what is going through my mind at this moment in time:

Is there even a magical box in the first place? Is it real or is it all an illusion? Time and time again we have talked about how it seems as though certain characters have been able to "will" things to happen, and the existence of a magical box could explain it all - Charlie coming back to life after being hanged, Kate's black horse, Jack's Zombie dad, Hurley's imaginary friend Dave's slipper, Walt making himself appear to Shannon, Eko's brother Yemi...

I wish for more wishes!So if there is actually a box that allows people to wish for things, similar to, let's say, a genie ... what about the show's creators' early comments about how everything will be able to be explained scientifically?

All I have to say about that is:
1) I personally don't care if it's something ridiculous that can't be explained scientifically, because as I've said before and I'm sure I'll say again - I WATCH TV AND MOVIES FOR ESCAPISM - I don't WANT them to be realistic, and...

2) Have any of you heard about this book and accompanying DVD, "The Secret?" That crap is ALL ABOUT just frickin' WISHING for things to happen, and then they happen. The DVD actually shows a young kid staring at a picture of a bike, and then voila! His grandpa shows up with that bike a few days later. This crap is on the best-seller list?!?! Oprah is a big promoter and believer of this?!?! So don't for one second start ripping on Lost, because it seems that the majority of America is already very eager to believe in magic and the power of the mind.

Although I will say that I've been wishing for my own personal genie for a very long time, and he has yet to appear.

After writing the majority of this post, I just listened to the podcast from the producers... and they said that Benry was using terms that Locke would understand when describing the ability to wish things onto the island (Locke used to work for a box manufacturer), but "the box" wasn't meant to be taken literally. They said that what this power is will become clear, but not for a while. I did get the sense that it would be covered in this season, but not in the near-term.


WISE WORDS FROM THE BOARDS

It's a lockbox, not a Locke Box!- Just an amazing episode. Big answers, lots of plot progression. Of course there are things that require a suspension of disbelief, but if you're still watching LOST in the third season, you may not be watching the show for it's gritty realism, I'd wager.
- I hereby propose, in a salute to the occasional greatness of Darrell Hammond's Al Gore on Saturday Night Live, that we refer to Ben's Magic Box as "The Locke Box."
- John Locke is the Angel of Destruction -- if you see him coming, run!
- I love that someone in the show has acknowledged that Locke has truly communed with the island and is not a nut. I also like the implication that the island disapproves of The Others as if they were a perversion of its natural order, perfectly evidenced by Locke's observation that he walks while Ben is trapped in the chair.
- Aww, man. That sucks. John Locke, why must you ruin everything again?! No, I'm not sad that Locke ruined our chances for answers anytime soon. Or that he helped Ben get his way. No, I'm mad that Locke ruined our chances of actually getting rid of Jack.
- For God's sake, give Terry O'Quinn his Emmy already!!
- His own dad pushing him out of the window? Dude, that's harsh. I have to admit I never saw it happening that way. And Papa Locke vs. Creepy Ben? Who do you back in that showdown?
- Papa Locke definitely doesn't have Father's Day gifts waiting for him.
- So... who gets the "Worst Father Ever" award this year? Jack Baeur's dad or Locke's?
- John's "father" is a con artist always looking out for the next victim. He would have been looking for another mark after he fled from the scene (pushing Locke out the window). Do you think his next mark could have been the Widmore family? And Daddy Widmore (Penny's father) realized that he was being conned and sent him to the island??
- The box manifested Papa Locke to Locke because Papa Locke was literally Locke's heart's desire. He kept going back to him as it became increasingly illogical and dangerous to do so, just because he couldn't keep away. He was drawn to Papa Locke. Papa Locke is at the core of Locke's mental and emotional life, so Papa Locke was in the box. (Also, I think it's now pretty much confirmed that Papa Locke is The Real Sawyer--he worked his way up over his lifetime from a trailer-park working-class woman to one with a $200-million fortune, but his MO remained the same.)
- The Man from Tallahassee- most certainly was Locke's father. But this magic box BS has nothing to do with his appearance. BEN asked for him, as if he was already on the island for some reason. Locke did NOT conjure up Papa Locke - he was already there!
- I think Locke's dad IS conjured from the "box" in the same way Jack Sparrow's compass only points to your true heart's desire, only sometimes you don't know what that really is.
- 1. Cut a hole in a box.
2. Make Ben open the box.
3. Show Locke what's in the box.
And that's the way you do it!
- I really liked it. Maybe because Michael Emerson is so amazingly creepy and Sayid finally told Alex something to get her to think why the f-ck she is taller than her dad.
- Poor Kate! Stupid Jack didn't even try and get someone else onto the submarine?
- How the hell did Locke's dad end up on the island? The magic box summoned him. Same way it probably summoned Jack's Dad. It's the Magic Dad Box. Summons Dads, be they dead or alive...
- At the end I was thinking, "His dad will be in the room. No, wait, that would be ridiculous. How would that even happen?" Trust your first instincts, people.
- Oh, there can't be any more doubters now that Locke's dad is Original Recipe Sawyer, right?
- Danielle is about to unleash some mad, mad craziness thanks to that little glimpse. I can't wait.



BEST LINES OF THE EPISODE

Locke: The man from Tallahassee? What is that...some kind of code?
Ben: No, John, unfortunately we don't have a code for "There's a man in my closet with a gun to my daughter's head." Although...we obviously should.


Hamsters rock!Locke: Where do you get electricity?
Ben: We have 2 giant hamsters running on a massive wheel at our secret underground cave...
Locke: Yeah, that's funny.



Ben: ...Let me put it so you'll understand. Picture a box. You know something about boxes, don't you John? What if I told you that somewhere on this island there's a very large box...and whatever you imagined...whatever you wanted to be in it...when you opened that box, there it would be. What would you say about that, John?
Locke: I'd say I hope that box is big enough to imagine yourself up a new submarine.




CONFIRMATIONS FROM TPTB

The executive producers of the show often air podcasts to clear up confusion or answer fans' questions. I thought it would be helpful to pass along some information from their most recent installment:
- Everything that Mikhail Bakunin (Patchy) told Kate, Sayid and Locke was true, other than that he was a member of the DHARMA Initiative (which he admitted to lying about in the end). His recounting of the conflict between DHARMA and the “hostiles,” including the subsequent “purge” in which the DHARMA people were wiped out, is accurate.

In my view, this is huge, because it confirms that "the hostiles" ARE The Others, who ARE NOT and WERE NEVER part of DHARMA.

- The Others did not know about the Swan Station or Desmond and Kelvin’s button-pushing activities prior to the Losties’ arrival on the island.

This would explain why Kelvin was not killed in "the purge," because they didn't know about him. However, since Kelvin WAS truly a part of DHARMA, he did know about The Others/The Hostiles because he mentioned them to Desmond once. He must have been forewarned about them by his predecessor or someone else.

- “Jacob,” the never-before-seen leader of The Others, really does exist, and we will eventually learn more about him.

- LOST really does take place on an island (there have been many rumors during the run of the series that the island wasn’t an island at all and that it would be revealed at the series' end).



THREE ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY ARTICLES ON RECENT EPISODES

Be forewarned, there are a few spoilers about upcoming episodes within these pages:

Article 1

Article 2

Article 3



AN INTERVIEW WITH LOCKE (TERRY O'QUINN) IN TV GUIDE

Read it here.



AN-OTHER THEORY

Doc Jensen from EW made this comment in one of the articles linked above, and I thought it was worth bringing to everyone's attention:

"Recall, if you will, the mysterious Ms. Hawking, the ring-store lady from Desmond's flashback who knew all about his island future. What if The Others have access to future knowledge, too? And what if they adhere to some ethos that prevents them from using their precognitive insight to alter the future? From that perspective, The Others suddenly become prisoners of fate. DHARMA, the castaways, the murder of Ms. Klugh, and more — it's all been predestined. Those things were going to happen the way they happened because they had to happen the way they happened and there was nothing The Others could do to change any of it, even if they wanted to. And heck: maybe they didn't want to change any of it. Maybe they also know that down the road, this horrible history has some kind of Happy Ending for everyone. It's already yielded one Big Benefit: It gave them a spinal surgeon who could operate on Ben's spinal tumors. But here's a couple other notions to consider.

How exactly do The Others know so much about the castaways? Maybe they have a really powerful Internet search engine. Maybe they have psychic powers. Or maybe they've lived through all of this before."


UPCOMING EPISODES

3/28 - Expose (pronounced ex-po-say, but I don't know how to may the accent over the e in html!) - The U.S. trailer... no different Canadian preview this time.
4/4 - Left Behind
4/11 - One of Us
4/18 - Catch-22
4/25 - D.O.C.
5/2 - Still untitled
5/9 - Still untitled
5/16 - The Truth About Lying
5/23 - TWO-HOUR SEASON FINALE and special episode afterward

I am nervous once again for this week's episode because I have heard that it is a "game-changer." Which was also said about Desmond's episode (by the way, producers confirmed that he did indeed go back in time - it wasn't just a dream or anything). So prepare yourself for another doozy!

You may have noticed above that the date for the season finale is set for May 23rd. The weird thing is that episodes 22 and 23 are listed as the season finale (it's two hours as usual), but then episode 24 is listed as a "special recap episode." So I have no idea what that means because there are supposed to be 24 REAL episodes in a season. It appears that they may be attempting to scam and count some lame season or series recap show as an actual episode (which they've never done before, even when they've aired recap episodes) I want my extra episode!!!!!

Until next time,
- e

15 comments:

ayama said...

hey e, thanks again for your recaps... i was in stiches reading the first part of it.
i agree with you, jack was very selfish, i would probably do the same as he did, but its still very selfish and un-hero-ish. i also get the jack n kate tension and intimacy, but i sure hope they dont end together in the end. it would be so clichè, and i dont think they have any chemistry together.

talking about it, can i ask you something earnestly? do you like, or dont you like, e. lilly's portrail (sp?) of kate? i was recently watching the first season, and i think she has grown very much as an actress, i would understand cynism then, but now, i think she's doing pretty ok.

but anyway,
i dont know what to say about locke. i know its possible to have someone survive a huge fall, here in brasil we have this woman who survive a fall from the 14th!! floor.... but still, i think these are somehow blessed and maybe special people.

i think benry is great. but he's so dramatic, sometimes i think he could be on a play on broadway....

oh well, i now like the fact that locke is blowing up things. but just because i love the island and i want everyone there. if i was jack, i would jump upon him and strangle him after he supposedly blew up the sub.

sorry about any spelling mistakes, im not a native english speaker, and ive drunk too much wine, tonight.

Anonymous said...

you mentioned getting emails about this week's episode. where's your email address listed?

Ernie said...

Love the blog. Keep up the good work.

e said...

To Anonymous -
When I first started these recaps, I did them via email, so about 200 people have my email address from those messages being forwarded around! My email address is not listed on this blog, but if you leave a comment, it comes to me before I publish it, so you can always write me that way (and I won't publish it if it's meant to me just a message to me).

To Ayama -
I agree with you - Kate has grown on me and I do think Evangeline Lilly does an AWESOME job, especially for basically having no acting experience before this show. My hatred of her from the first season is no longer valid. She sometimes still bugs me, but Juliet and Nikki are the ones I like the least now on the show.

I also heard after I posted this write-up that the producers were inspired by the story of a guy who fell FIFTEEN stories and lived, so I guess Locke's fall is definitely possible.

Thanks for writing - Brazil is a great country!

Nick said...

What about the (slim) possibility that Papa Locke is working with Benry and the Others? Or that he's attempting to run a con on them (i.e. he's "with" them now, but will turn on them later). I know it seems crazy, but he IS the O.G. of con men.

And Locke distrusts him SO much that he wouldn't believe anything he said regardless. Papa Locke could use double-reverse psychology on him (or something like that). Let the battle of wits between Locke, Papa Locke, and Benry commence!

Julie G said...

Mark my words, we will find out this show is all geared around the prolongment of the existence of the human race. On another note, that lady in the painting looks just like Karen Degroot, but it would make more sense if it was Juliette's sister with the mouse/hamster that Juliette impregnated. If the Others are not former Dharma-ites, then how did they come to be? I still pose the theory that the Others are the rebels (hostiles)from the original Dharma group.

Another great write-up E! Thank you!

Julie G said...

E--found some info about the "car o death" and wanted to share...

Who is driving the car that seems to be the same one that hit Locke, Michael, and Kate (twice)?
Answering the question in an interview on September 21, 2005, Damon Lindelof confirmed that this use of the same prop car in Hawaii to film the accident scenes in the different episodes was not intentionally significant.

I'm sure it's just used several times as a prop...

e said...

Julie G -
Thanks for the info on how the Car o' Death was just a recurring prop. Some people noticed that the hallway they walked down to get to the Magic Box Room was the exact same hallway as shown at the beginning of Juliet's flashback when she goes to check on her sister. I would expect that that was also just a re-use of a set. You would think they'd be more careful with crazy fans out there like us!

Edward said...

This is the ABSOLUTE BEST Review of Lost in the world! This should be published in a magazine or something!

brett said...

if Nick is right, Locke surely cannot drink the wine in front of him.

Cynthia said...

i disagreed with one of the posts you showed us from the boards about Papa Locke being Locke's heart's desire. I think Locke's heart's desire was to have his dad in a position where he could no longer con or hurt others (perhaps as some kind of prisoner- as he was shown to him in the box). it may also have been his desire to see him dad get hurt or to see him feeling vulnerable just how he had hurt many other people and made them feel vulnerable and violated. i think that is why we saw him this way- bound, gagged, roughed up, and with a scared expression on his face ("caught" as it were). if he was really shut up in a box, why would the others bother tying him up and beating him? locke didn't just want to see his dad, he wanted to see him suffering and no longer hurting others which is what he did see in the box.

i have no clue how he got there though! just wanted to add my two cents. keep up the good work e! i love reading your blog during lunch at work before a new episode airs!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
This isn't a comment on your S3Ep13 post, however I really enjoyed it.
I just wanted to point out something weird, in case you didn't see it on last night's episode. Maybe you did catch it, but I didn't catch it until someone posted a still frame on ABC's LOST message board.
Paulo is reading a newspaper in the airport when they are waiting for their flight and the date on it is September 24, 2004, but I think their flight was supposed to be on September 22, 2004?
I can't imagine that was an error, but maybe? If not an error, what does it mean?
Anyway, I thought I would point it out.
Keep up the good work, I love your commentary.
Also, is there any chance you would post a picture of your LOST party tablecloth? It sounds awesome :)

e said...

Edward - Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me!

Cynthia - Very good observation - I think you hit the nail on the head. Locke didn't want to be reunited with his dad or anything, he wanted to ensure his dad stopped ruining other peoples' lives - thus he is bound and gagged on a faraway island now.

Anon - I will work on getting a close-up of the tablecloth, but you can see a far-away angle of it on the second picture in my Season 2 finale party post, linked below:

http://longlivelocke.blogspot.com/2006/05/finale-par-tay.html

(You may have to cut and paste that link in, not sure)

Regarding the 9/24 date on the newspaper, I have a feeling it was an error - they have made other errors with dates similar to that one before in other flashbacks, and have later admitted that they screwed up. I just read a podcast transcript where they to screwing up by not spelling "Honor" with a u - as in "Honour" when showing a poster in the background in Desmond's flashback, which took place in the UK. So they are only human sometimes!

- e

Anonymous said...

I've been looking all over for a screenshot, and e, you seem as likely as anyone to find it :) I'm wondering if Locke was the man who fell past Hurley while meeting with his financial planner in season one's "Numbers." If so, it would be my favorite character tie-in of the series.
-Lem

e said...

Lem -

Here is the screenshot, or actually the video clip:

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/2007/03/other-falling-man.html

It is not Locke who falls out of the window during Hurley's flashback from Season One... Locke landed on his back and the other guy was face down. Also, the timing is off... Locke's accident happened 4 years before he arrived on the island, Hurley won the Lottery probably a year or less before the plane crash.

Hope this helps! I agree, it would've been cool, though!

- e